Do you feel that you’re not understood by your social environment because of your lifestyle, your beliefs or your passions? Do you sometimes feel lonely and suffer from it? Be aware, you’re not alone and someone, somewhere, is eager to hear your voice!
Stop justifying yourself or explaining your heart’s desires to people who are prisoners of conventional wisdom and status quo. Don’t blame them either, they simply won’t understand you because they’re conditioned by their own limiting beliefs.
I recently visited the Island of Ibiza for a week’s vacation. This island is a pure gem of beauty and vibrates with an unexplainable positive energy and freedom.
It’s not a coincidence if hippies, religious communities, new age freaks, clubbing aficionados, artists, writers or outrageously rich people fell in love with this island.
This place is really unconventional. However, my most amazing discovery was to meet people from every walk of life, nationality and profession who established themselves on the Island to express their passions and lifestyle.
These people were all somehow unconventional and expressed similar experiences:
- They were considered a bit crazy by their family, colleagues or society.
- They had a dream they were obsessed with.
- They realized that their social environment was not supportive enough
for their vision to become a reality.
- They found the courage in themselves to follow their own path.
- They quit their country to live their dreams somewhere else.
- They rebuilt their social network.
- They expressed no regrets.
All these extraordinary individuals had to face incomprehension and hostility from their environment because of their ideas or lifestyle. However, they overcame these limits and designed the life they had dreamed of.
Whatever you dreams, lifestyle or path in life, you need a positive and supportive social environment to express yourself and grow. Our society doesn’t always encourage differences:
- Uncommon beliefs and ideas
- Alternative lifestyles
- Unconventional physical appearances
- Religious expression
- Cultural differences
If you are in this situation, do not isolate yourself and let frustration grow. You may not be understood by your family, your colleagues or society, but you have received the birthright to be different and unique; It’s printed in your DNA. Even if your DNA may not determine your beliefs or preferences, you are you, and for that reason you deserve to express your personality and be happy.
Sometimes, the best solution to find a supportive social environment is to redesign your own. You don’t necessarily need to quit your hometown or your country, but you can :
- Carefully choose supportive and respectful friends.
- Get a coach who will listen and help you express your potential.
- Build your own community on Internet.
- Advertise to meet people with same interests or lifestyles
- Join or set up a mastermind group of people who have similar objectives in order to share ideas, strategies, successes and failures and grow together.
Choose your environment carefully and don’t let anyone or anything stands on your way to happiness. This is your birthright!
Once for all, accept who you are; you may not be perfect according to social standards, but you are you, and there is no other way to live your life.